Sunday, June 20, 2010

The White Bird

I threw him down 
from the wing of the temple
the pinnacles height, 
he fell 
linen robe flapping
a great white bird who could not fly
his god 
did not save him
for his god 
sleeps
nor could he save 
his city
nor the temple
brother of brothers
whose younger brother I killed
leader of the twelve

I almost erased his name

from the list of the twelve
almost
but the others were clever
they knew me then
for what I was
for what I am
united 
they had the greater power
so perforce I fled
before I could finish
and found shelter
among the deceived ones
prepared long before
to receive me as the one
bearing truth
I who taught them
to drink the blood 
and eat the flesh
I laugh to think of it now
now that I am again free

I tried to erase him 

from all the books
but was not able
so I rewrote him
and his brother
before I was chained

So they gathered

in power
to cast me out
the ten who remained
they bound
but could not destroy me
but as I fell
so fell the temple
the twelve were lost
but the ten remain
who hold up the world

It was said

"Not one stone shall remain upon another"
not one
but many stones remained
they wait.

I see him falling still

a great white bird
it pleases me

My lie has succeeded

beyond my wildest dream
they call to me
tho many no longer believe
still some remain loyal
oh children 
drink the blood
eat the flesh
kill 
and die for me


give me your strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment