Saturday, February 13, 2010

Absence

There is no cold,
there is only the absence 
of heat.

There is no dark,

there is only the absence 
of light.

Stillness is coldness

Stillness is darkness

shall I wait?

The absence 

of motion
implies the absence
of time

time passing 

is things moving

Gravity -

slows time
Gravity -
can stop time

so falling into the black hole

takes forever.

And forever

is a very long
time

When did that happen?

Did it happen at all

Trick question.

Remember that?

How did that go?


"Shh, listen. Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."

Something like that, I'm not sure. 

I don't remember it exactly. 
But it was something like that.

Unstuck in time.

So now let us remember

the future,
that which hasn't been,
but which will be.

So, the light cone spreads out

and if I stand "here"
inside the cone
I know.

and if I step to the side

over "here"
outside the cone
I don't know
I can't know.

Can not know.

The width of a photon

is all that lies between 
knowing
and
not knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment