Monday, January 11, 2010

If thine eye offend thee

I have seen it
(him?)
through their eyes
and so
it dwells in my minds eye
which no blade can put out.
and even should I pluck my eyes
which offend me
from my head 
yet
I would see it still.

I would see it, still

It does not know that I have seen it

for none who see it live.
none save I
who has never seen it.
and I do not know why this is so.

There is a city

a great city
where it is always night
I went there often as a child
in dreams
wandered its empty avenues
admired its vast silent 
deserted spaces
towers and buildings
which never echoed
the sounds of life.

And then I grew up

and began to dream 
of other things.
and the city faded
from my memory
and I dwelled in a city of day
and night

nights filled with life

and light
and sound.
for a great city never sleeps
never sleeps.

And then it came 

it came from outside
and found the city to its liking

I remember

grey autumn days 
with the rain sweeping
in curtains and sheets
between the canyon buildings
down falling
washing the day clean
washing the night.
I would stand at the window
watching the rain
stream and runnel
over the glass.

Let me stand again

atop the highest tower
as I did one night
(long before this began)
To watch
God throw his lightning
and roar thunder.
so bright, so pure, that light.
I would open my eyes
wide.
wide, to let that light 
burn out the images
of what they saw,
and gave to me, 
and the cold rain wash away,
wash away the stain,
he has made upon my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment