Sunday, September 4, 2011

Melchizedek

Melchizedek wanders
the Plain of Night
Blind as Gloucester
Mad as Lear

and this pleases me.

shall I play Edgar,
or Edmund?

Low how the mighty are fallen
you who blessed Avram
whose children
thought to imprison
el shaddai
in that temple
on that mountain

I whom El my father had banished
to that mountain
there in the desert
companion of boredom
Lord of Dust
Entertaining myself
with the voice of thunder
burning bushes
and ignorant shepherds
are easily impressed.

Melchizedek, Priest King
you who came before
it is said
In the beginning there was the word
the logos
and that was you
first begotten of eldest
before that
that afterthought
whom he sent
with the final seal
descendant of David and Solomon
to secure me forever
within the accursed ark

Shall I be the good child
who speaks truth to power
and is condemned
driven from the face of love?
or the evil child
who speaks the lies
his father king wants to hear?
Edmund or Edgar?
Regan, Goneril,
or Cordelia?

Melchezidek
Avram chosen of my father
who sleeps
that you blessed there at the door
the gate of the kingdom
how it pleased me
to drive you out
and steal your sight.


father has forgotten you
.

but I have not.

No comments:

Post a Comment